At capacities of 5kW and above, the most practical way to provide redundant power to 208V server racks has been to connect redundant 3-phase rack PDUs to redundant power supplies in each server. Until now.
Tripp Lite's new solution employs a breakthrough 3-phase rack automatic transfer switch (ATS) and a compatible vertical PDU to deliver redundant power to high-capacity, clustered server racks without requiring redundant server power supplies. This strategy results in streamlined installations and substantial cost savings per server rack.
Highlights of the Tripp Lite 3-Phase Rack ATS (U.S. Patent Pending)
- Delivery of up to 8.6, 12.5 or 17.3kW of redundant 208V AC power to servers without requiring redundant power supplies
- Dual inputs for connecting separate A (primary) and B (secondary) 3-phase power sources
- Rapid coordination of unsynchronized phases without dropping loads
- Unique hybrid of solid-state and electromechanical relay switching provides the best features of both
- Ultra-fast transfer in less than 6 milliseconds
- Multifunction digital display for local monitoring
- Built-in network interface for remote monitoring
- Only 1U of rack space required for ATS
- Field-proven performance, reliability and efficiency for data center applications
Traditional Dual PDU Solution vs. Tripp Lite ATS Solution
Challenge: Provide redundant power to a rack that has clustered 1U servers.
The Tripp Lite Advantage
|Two 3-phase rack PDUs feed single-phase 208V loads||3-phase rack ATS feeds single-phase 208V loads||
|Two power supplies per server||One power supply per server; the Tripp Lite ATS provides redundant power to each server power supply, so a second power supply is not required||
|Two power cords per server||One power cord per server||
The Tripp Lite ATS can also provide redundant power to a single-cord top-of-rack switch, eliminating the need to purchase a separate ATS dedicated to the switch. (1) The estimated efficiency gain assumes 80 PLUS® certified power supplies, with dual power supplies loaded at 25% compared to single power supplies loaded at 50%.
The Bottom Line for Tripp Lite 3-Phase Rack ATS
Lower Hardware Costs
- Eliminates cost of second power supply per server
- Eliminates cost of second power cord per server
- Eases network management with only one ATS to monitor
- Reduces cable clutter for better organization, improved airflow and easier access
Lower Operating Costs
- Increases efficiency of server power supplies
- Reduces cooling costs due to power supply efficiency gain
- ATS operates at a high level of efficiency
Efficient Use of Rack Space
- Saves valuable rack space with less hardware
- May reduce rack weight and floor loading