Single-phase power is:
- Used in most homes in North America
- Able to supply ample power for most smaller customers, including homes and small, non-industrial businesses
- Adequate for running motors up to about 5 horsepower; a single-phase motor draws significantly more current than the equivalent 3-phase motor, making 3-phase power a more efficient choice for industrial applications
3-phase power is:
- Common in large businesses, as well as industry and manufacturing
- Increasingly popular in power-hungry, high-density data centers
- Expensive to convert from an existing single-phase installation, but 3-phase allows for smaller, less expensive wiring and lower voltages, making it safer and less expensive to run
- Highly efficient for equipment designed to run on 3-phase
To illustrate the difference between single-phase and 3-phase, imagine a lone paddler in a canoe. He can only move himself forward while his paddle moves through the water. When he lifts the paddle out of the water to prepare for the next stroke, the power supplied to the canoe is zero.
Now picture the same canoe with three paddlers. If their strokes are synchronized so each is separated by 1/3 of a stroke cycle, the canoe receives constant and consistent propulsion across the water. More power is supplied and the canoe moves across the water more smoothly and efficiently.
Solutions for Single-Phase Power
Whether you have a desktop PC, shared peripherals or a network server, we have solutions such as an Uninterruptible Power Supply that maintains power to your equipment during a blackout and stops damaging surges and line noise that cost you productivity and data. Add a Power Distribution Unit for extra outlets, long cords and flexible mounting options.
Solutions for 3-Phase Power
From Power Distribution Units that solve getting the necessary wattage to your power-hungry equipment, to Uninterruptible Power Supplies that provide battery backup to protect your equipment from damage, data loss and downtime, Tripp Lite has the right solutions to make your 3-phase installation run efficiently.