PowerAlert Network Shutdown Agent provides automatic shutdown for a computer that is receiving battery backup protection from a Tripp Lite UPS system, but is unable to connect directly to the UPS system via USB or serial cabling. PowerAlert Network Shutdown Agent is able to "listen" to an SNMP-capable device on the local network that is directly connected to the UPS system, allowing you to configure your computer to shut down when specific power events are detected. PowerAlert Network Shutdown Agent does not require the Java Runtime Environment, so it is also useful for users who cannot install Java because of computer resource limitations or IT department restrictions.
PowerAlert Network Shutdown Agent can monitor several types of SNMP-capable Tripp Lite devices, including UPS systems with an SNMPWEBCARD*, UPS systems that appear on the network via PowerAlert Local* and network-enabled PDUs*.
* Software or firmware version 12.04.0048 and above
- Listens for power events over a network
- Provide a way to shutdown a PC or server when no local USB/serial connection to the UPS is available
- Works with PowerAlert Local or the optional Tripp Lite SNMP Network Card
- Built-in SNMP agent
Tripp Lite's PowerAlert Software allows users to monitor and control connected UPS systems. PowerAlert works with multiple computing platforms, including Microsoft, Windows and Linux.
The minimum system requirements for each PowerAlert component are:
Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit), Windows 8 (32 & 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit), XP, Server 2012 (32 & 64 bit), Server 2012 (32 & 64 bit), Server 2008 (32 & 64 bit)
- Fedora 8 or OpenSUSE 11
- Tripp Lite SNMPWEBCARD or supported PowerAlert Local system (12.04.0048 and above)
- Available TTY port
- Open 3664 and 162 ports (any firewall)
- Root user (required for installation)
Macintosh OS X
This distribution of PowerAlert Network Shutdown Agent is for 64-bit Intel machines running OS X 10.5.8 and OS X 10.6.2, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4.
- PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Engine requires a network connection to a local area network. PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Engine only contacts network devices chosen by you. PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Engine will respond to SNMP requests from your network.
- PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Console requires Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_17. OS X 10.5 users must install Java for Mac OS 10.5 Update 6. OS X 10.6 users must install Java for Mac OS 10.6 Update 1.
- PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Engine requires 7.0 MB of space in your system volume.
- PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Console requires 7.4 MB of space in the location of your choice.
- PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Engine requires administrator privileges to install or uninstall.
- PowerAlert Shutdown Agent Engine requires open and available UDP network ports 3664, 3665, 161, and 162.
Please visit our Software Downloads section for the latest updates. Your operating system may also be supported by a previous version of PowerAlert.
Getting Help with PowerAlert
Before contacting Tripp Lite Technical Support, please refer to Section 8 - Troubleshooting of the PowerAlert User Manual for possible solutions.
If you are still unable to resolve the problem, you can reach Tripp Lite Technical Support here:
Monday through Friday
8:30AM to 6:00 PM CST (Central Standard Time)
Contact Technical Support
Small-to-Medium Network Configurations
Computer(s) Connected to UPS via Local Area Network:
Use this configuration when it is not possible for the UPS or PDU to connect to the computer(s) via a USB or serial communication port. An SNMP Network Card (SNMPWEBCARD) must be installed in the UPS or PDU. An SNMP Network Card also supports device monitoring and control over the Internet via a browser.